Hi! I'm about to do something really bad. I'm going to share yet another delicious but terrible for you recipe! I first heard about this recipe from Megan at Honey We're Home who got it from Kristyn at Lil' Luna. I didn't alter any of Kristyn's recipe, so this is just a straight up share. The buttery crumble on top is so yummy!
I've totally failed at making monkey bread and have pretty much accepted the fact that I'm never going to get it just right. That's where a breakfast casserole like this one comes in to save me when I'm feeling down! This French toast bake will feed an entire crowd and reminds me of the one that I made from Pioneer Woman last year. If you want to make this for just your family one weekend morning, I'd suggest halving the ingredients and baking it in a square dish instead.
Scroll down for the ingredients and directions!
* 1 loaf sourdough bread
* 8 eggs
* 2 cups milk
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 2 Tablespoons vanilla
* 1/2 cup flour
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup cold butter
* Grease a 9" x 13" pan.
* Dice the bread loaf into cubes. Place the bread cubes in the pan.
* Combine the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread.
* Cover the pan with cling wrap. Refrigerate the pan overnight.
* In another bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
* Add the butter to the mixture in small chunks and cut the butter in until the mixture is crumbly. Keep the topping mixture in a bag or storage container in the fridge overnight.
* The next day, spread the topping mixture over your bread mixture while you preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
* Bake uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes.
The next time I make this for my family, I'm going to make the sugar mixture for the bread portion with some brown sugar and white sugar, and I'm going to add some orange zest. We love sweet and citrusy over here. I'm also thinking of trying this with challah bread because it's so yummy! What do you do to jazz up a French toast bake?
Thanks for joining me today! Make sure you link-up to share your favorite recipe of the week, and don't forget that all of my Try It Thursday recipes can be found on one Pinterest page! Stop by the other blogs to say hello, and I'll see you back here tomorrow for Friday Favorites!