Last week basically became a really long extended weekend due to Hurricane Harvey. We spent a good majority of the week inside and glued to the news. I have a lot of guilt about sharing our weekend compared to other Texans as we didn't face any flooding other than our fireplace. If you are still looking for ways to help, please consider making a donation to the Houston Flood Relief Fund set up by our Texans player, JJ Watt.
We played lots of games, including some cards with the dogs.
We watched a lot of movies, including one of our family favorites, Wall-E!
I caught up on some old magazines.
A friend invited us to a Facebook group where people read stories online to entertain the kids who have been impacted by Harvey. Ari and I made a video where we read Pete the Cat's Old MacDonald Had a Farm. She has had a lot of fun watching other people's videos and seeing the likes on her video.
If you have little kids (like under 4), make sure Santa brings some Duplos this year. We started our Duplo collection when Trip was itty-bitty, and both my 5 year old and 8 year old still bust them out to play with. They're definitely worth the investment (and if your kids love animals, Duplo has some great farm and zoo sets.)
Someone went flying in the living room!
We've been on the hunt for the the perfect tres leches recipe, and it may just be that it's from a box!
I also baked up some sweets that I'll share with you this Thursday and got a head start on school baking and made banana muffins to freeze.
Since it was the first Saturday of the month, I did a heavy vacuum and then mopped the downstairs. I still love my Method products! You can read about my favorites HERE.
And, since it's the first Monday of the month, I'm linking up with Andrea and the ladies of The Blended Blog for a little Q&A!
1) Did you love school or hate it? I think I was indifferent about school as a kid. Now, I love it so much, I teach it!
2) Start school before or after Labor Day? As a kid, we always started before Labor Day, and we usually start that way here in Texas, too. This year is a little different. We are going to start next Monday due to the hurricane.
3) Wake up: eager beaver or slow poke? I'm definitely a morning person!
4) Favorite breakfast? If I could have it without gaining weight, I'd love to have French toast or chocolate croissants on the daily. This year, I'm having Special K Protein each school morning.
5) Favorite cereal? I love Cocoa Puffs, Count Chocula, and Cap'n Crunch, but I'm eating Special K these days.
6) School uniform or no uniform? I grew up going to private school and had to wear a uniform for 10 years. My kids don't have uniforms at their school.
7) New outfit for first day or no? No new outfits here- everyone did get new sneakers though.
8) Walk to school or ride the bus? I grew up carpooling to school. My kids go to the before and after school care at their school, so they get dropped off and picked up.
9) Backpack, tote, or messenger bag? My kids and I are all about backpacks! AND I always wear BOTH straps to balance my bag's weight! Nerd alert! :)
10) Eat school lunch or pack lunch? I pack a lunch for everyone. I love overnight oats for my own lunch!
11) Remember the little milk cartons? White or chocolate? Nope- no cartons for me!
12) Paper bag or lunch box? I took a paper bag for a while as a kid, but my kids and I are lunchbox people now.
13) Favorite thing to do at recess? I just remember playing "Hot Lava" and walking the wooden border of the playground trying not to fall down into the "lava."
14) Favorite back to school supply item? I've always loved a planner!
15) Chalkboard or dry erase board? Dry erase!
16) Regular pencil or mechanical? Regular- Ticonderoga is the best!
17) Homework right after school or after dinner? Right after school- get it done!
18) Favorite after school snack? I don't remember anything as a child, but I love Chex Mix, Wheat Thins with hummus, or a spoonful of peanut butter with a graham cracker now. My kids love to have a yogurt or granola bar.
19) Favorite after school show? I loved watching Carmen San Diego as a kid. My kids like to watch Ben 10 and Teen Titans Go.
20) Favorite subject in school? I always liked my history classes. Hmm...foreshadowing much?
21) Least favorite school subject? Math. I never felt confident in it, and my teachers were not very encouraging until I got to high school. Thank goodness I married someone who rocks at math!
22) Name of your best friend in high school? Geraldine and Rachel! Still friends today!
23) High school mascot type? We were the Spartans! I'm currently a Bengal, and my kids are Longhorns which doesn't sit well in an Aggie family!
24) SAT or ACT? I did much better on my ACT than SAT.
25) Favorite year in school? I loved my junior and senior years of high school.
26) Class ring or no class ring? No high school class ring, but I wear my college ring daily.
27) Attend or not attend high school reunions? I didn't attend my 10 year. I'm in contact with the people I care to see, and Facebook kind of answers any questions you could have.
Did you have the same feelings about school? I'm excited to meet my new students next week, and I can't wait for my own kids to have a great year! Enjoy the rest of your Labor Day weekend, and I'll see you here tomorrow for another edition of Tuesday Training!